Thursday, September 15, 2011

Re-Purposed Texture

Today is the reveal of the Fiberactions Texture Challenge.

Most of my work plays on texture, both visual and tactile. This piece is no different in that regard.
I re- purposed these thread painted flowers from some old silk decorator's samples I had. Simply, I cut them from the original background and appliqued them to my hand dyed silk dupioni. A simple black and white frame; the dragonfly is made from Angelina fibers, and from there it was just a matter of adding additional texture with thread and batting...my favorite part!


I originally had planned a lace edging, but in the end...it didn't work for me, so a simple faced finish won out.

I used Quilters Dream Puff batting and Superior's Rainbows thread...color # 816 "Mardi Gras" in the needle and So Fine #418 "it's a Girl" in the bobbin.


Be sure to check out the other pieces by my fellow artist's  on the Fiberactions blog.

And I leave you tonight with Bouree...sleeping under my printer shelf...so cute and innocent!

1 comment:

  1. The quilting in your pieces adds wonderful texture and as usual, is executed to perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!