Thursday, June 13, 2013

New Fabrics

I recently ordered dyeing supplies from Dharma to replenish my stocks.  I also needed some silk scarf blanks.... I like to keep some on hand to dye and print  when I need gifts  While on the website, I noticed they had a hemp/silk blend fabric...I ordered a yard to see what it is like.

Well, my order arrived today. The dyes and chemicals are as always; and the silk scarf blanks also wonderful as they always are.

The big surprise is the Hemp/Silk blend fabric...oh my goodness, is this some fabulous stuff!! Sooo soft, but weighty, and the drape is to dye for!  Words cannot describe, so here's a photo...though this does not do it justice either.   The Hemp side....

Gorgeous texture...almost like silk Dupion without the sheen and so soft!  And then here's the silk side...

Beautiful sheen, smoother weave than Dupion, but not as smooth as charmuese.  And both sides together...

This last photo is true to color...it's a lovely cream.  I originally thought I'd use this for a quilt...but I think I may make a wrap for myself from this...it's just so luscious! It's a bit pricey at $22/yd but so worth it...I will definitely order more of this!

And speaking of quilts, I originally had planned to use tea dyed Silk Dupion for my compass wholecloth, but today, I ran across this gorgeous piece of tight weave 68% linen/32% rayon blend.


It's hard to see how nice the texture is in the photo, and the weight and drape are divine...but I think I'm going to tea dye this and then see which I like best for the old parchment look...this or the Dupion.... I'm thinking it may be the linen/rayon blend...we'll see!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!