[caption id="attachment_2786" align="alignnone" width="300"]
12"x19"
For my colors, I chose purple, orange-yellow, aqua-green and I added black to the mix.
The colors said Mardi Gras to me, so I went with that theme and chose a mask as my feature element. I dyed the background fabric with fiber reactive dyes sprayed randomly on the surface. The mask was then appliqued in place. The background quilting is a simple elongated grid to mimic a harlequin pattern. I placed crystals in a swirl pattern to add the characteristic sparkle of ornate Mardi Gras masks.
I used 2 layers of batting; Quilters Dream Wool over Quilters Dream Puff. For thread I used Superior's Rainbows "Rainforest" to stitch the grid. I then switched to So Fine to do the close stitching in the diamonds, matching the thread color to the fabric colors.
Such a simple quilt in design and execution...just goes to show that simple can be fun too!
Be sure to head on over to the Fiberactions blog to see what my fellow artists did with this challenge.
I love this! I have a sudden urge to party...
ReplyDeleteI love this. How very N.O. of you!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. Love the colors.
ReplyDeleteThis is really beautiful. The colours and diamond quilting pattern outlining the green eyes - it's amazing!
ReplyDeleteLove your color choices!! Where did you find the awesome color wheel cards???
ReplyDelete