Saturday, August 11, 2012

Clyde

Another dreary day here in New Orleans, but it's getting colorful in my studio as I begin to bring "Clyde" to life!

Even though I have shared my painting  process  many times over the years with photos, videos and classes...I always get lots of questions, so I'll go through the process again here.

Yesterday, I transferred my drawing to the cloth in preparation to begin painting.  I used Prismacolor pencils in  colors close to what I will be using to paint to transfer the outlines. Today, I made the masks in preparation for the background base painting. I do this with different materials as the mood strikes me...sometimes soy wax, sometimes freezer paper.  This time I used freezer paper.  Here they are all cut and ironed in place on the background.



Next, I start layering color on the  background.  I prefer to use very liquid textile paints,  inks or dyes because they leave absolutely no stiffness on the fabric. To  keep them from seeping too much under the masks, I thicken them. What I use as a thickener depends on the colorant. For dye-like thin paints I use plain old cheap shaving cream; for inks I use aloe vera gel; for dyes I use sodium alginate.

On this piece I used Jacquard's Dye-na-flow thickened with shaving cream. Here you can see the background after the color has been added. The masks are still in place.



Once the background is fully dry, I peel off the freezer paper masks.



Later in the process, I will be adding more surface design elements to the background...I prefer to save that  until I get the main elements painted.

But for now,  Clyde is ready to get some color!

 

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure he'll be as wonderful as the others. I always love seeing your process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to watching him come alive, too! Your pieces are so much fun, Deb! Thanks for sharing them with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your 'fishy tales' Deb, they are so cute

    Deb, please see next comment...

    Best Wishes
    Kay in Scotland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb,
    I hope you don't mind me asking, I need to speak to Adam Chenevert and wondered if you had an email address for him...quilty business....

    TIA
    Kay in Scotland

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!