Friday, July 15, 2011

Through the Eyes of my Heart

Today is the reveal day for our Fiberactions challenge. Our word this time was "Departure"  and my work fits the word in three ways. It is 16 x20 horizontal this time instead of vertical; it has very simple wavy lines for background quilting instead of my usual more ornate stuff; and I elected to make it a tribute to my kitty Harry who recently died very unexpectedly at the tender age of 4. I have had many kitty companions over the course of my lifetime, but none touched my soul the way Harry did. I'll never be able to explain the depth of that bond.  Nor will it ever go away.



The creation of this piece has been very painful, yet healing in many ways.  The eyes, you will notice are a sort of hybrid...part human; part feline. There is a poem by an unknown author handwritten in the background very faintly.  The quilting is very simple, I wanted the eyes to be the focus of the piece.



My work is mostly pictorial, often with a whimsical slant, so I have done my share of eyes. Usually they are fairly simplistic and sort of flat.  This time though, I wanted to be able to capture the essence of Harry in them.  While not anywhere near perfect, they do "speak" to me. Not only of Harry,



but of Chloe



and of Bouree





 

And the most healing thing of all occurred when I took the quilt off the frame after finishing...



Be sure to head over to Fiberactions to see  what my fellow artists did with this word!

9 comments:

  1. I love this quilt Deb. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, you've got me in tears again. Your words really touched my heart and what a wonderful tribute to your dear Harry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNEW it was going to be Harry. great quilt....touching story. love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew too! What a great way to remember him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a touching piece Deb. It's beautiful, in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Deb. It is too beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the piece and the love that motivated its making. When I got the to last statement and picture, I really got choked up. What a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harry must have also loved you very much, I am sure he is very much with you in sprit. One very special relationship. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!