Again, I have chosen to do two pieces. Since so much of my work is about the quilted design and often incorporates painted elements, the word “Transformation” seemed right up my alley. So I did two identical pieces, one white work, one with color. The same, yet different…
A few weeks ago, someone on an online list that I read occasionally made the comment that she did not think painted quilts deserved to be included in quilts shows, especially the big national shows. Her rationale was that first of all, those who made such quilts were all professionally trained artists so they should have their own show...not with quilters like her who have spent years perfecting her piecing and appliqué skills.
Someone pointed out that not all who make painted quilts are trained artists; and that her idea of a quilt "worthy of show" also eliminates the traditional wholecloth. The original poster then modified her stance to include traditional white work as "worthy" but maintained her stance on painted quilts.
That little exchange is what prompted me to do two pieces for this challenge of the identical design...one white work, one with color.
So does the addition of color diminish the "worth" of this quilt?
Not in my view, in fact my preference is the one in color. My first thought when reading that thread for the first time was how sad it is that some would be so exclusionary. Me...I think there is room for all of us in the quilt world. And I love seeing all types of quilts in a show. Even if they are not my "style" I still can appreciate the beauty and skill it took to create them.
So, "Eye of the Beholder"; two wholecloth quilts,both began life as white PFD fabric and one identical drawing.... one painted with thickened fiber reactive dyes. Both 16 x20 inches, two layers of batting(cotton &wool), Superior threads(metallic & So Fine) used. More photos below.
Be sure to head over to Fiberactions and see the work of the other artists.
These are both fantastic Deb each in their own way. I love the one with the color because it's so vivid and striking but the one without has a quiet elegance to it that I appreciate as well and makes me want to get up close to look at the stitching.
ReplyDeleteWith regards to that person who made the comment: sounds like she feels intimidated by the presence of other artists who may be better at something than she is and her motivation is to level the playing field down to her own skill level rather than focus on perfecting her own skills in order to make her own work "worthy of show quality".
Well yes, I don't believe that quilts of different techniques should be compared directly WITH each other (i.e. piecing vs. applique or machine quilting vs. hand quilting), but they can't even be in the same show together? Maybe she's worried your painted quilt will get cooties on her applique quilt.
ReplyDeleteI for one will never paint a quilt (have you seen me paint? lord, what a mess), but I can appreciate the time and skill and beauty of the work done by someone else. I can also appreciate, and love to look at quilts that are hand-quilted with a bazillion stitches per inch, but neither is better or worse, just different.
Man, the world would be super-boring if all of the quilts were the same, wouldn't it?
The white quilt is darling, but it's the color that makes the quilt spectacular, and it's what makes it a Deb Levy Original. Awesome.
I think that any quilt (certified to be free of cooties or bed bugs, of course) can be in a quilt show. I like to see everything people make! I love both of your quilts.
ReplyDeleteI say anything goes! Personally I like the painted one better.
ReplyDeleteI love how different they look and yes the colored one is you. I know I would love to see them both in a show.....with blue ribbons hanging off them of course. :)
ReplyDeleteStunning. I love them both but the one with color is
ReplyDeletebreathtaking. I love the shading in the pearl spines and
the shiny thread in the peacocks headdress. It's the details tht draw you in.
They are both stunning but, like you, I prefer the painted one. I just think it's sad that people are so narrow minded that they want to exclude anything from a quilt show because it doesn't fit into 'their' little box. I love to see all kinds of quilts in a show and would hate to see anything excluded.
ReplyDeleteThe first Houston show I attended had an amazing quilt with seagulls which were painted and quilted. I can still see it vividly in my mind.
Maybe somebody should tell her to get back in her box and stay there :-)
So wait, aren't fabrics just basically painted? So that would mean all quilts, unless they are white whole clotes, are painted. Small minds, small opinions. I personally love your work and all quilters work. Like most people have said, although some may not be to my liking, I still appreciate all the hard work and talent that goes into each one. Glad to know you don't let small minds dictate your personal taste!
ReplyDeleteThey're both beautiful, Deb! I especially love the painted one-the colours and shading make it spectacular. Of course, there is room for ALL techniques in quilt shows.
ReplyDeleteDeb, interesting discussion. I am not a "trained" painter but I do love to paint fabric. I like the painted one better but I really appreciate you quilting skills in both pieces since this is an area where I feel I need improvement.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in Houston a couple of weeks ago I saw several quilts that had used photos printed directly on fabric and wondered if this was a truly a valid art form for quilts. Was it just 'cheating? What do you think????
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL....BOTH of them. I am in awe of you wonderful work. I think they should both be blue ribbon contenders...
ReplyDeleteGorgeous quilts, both of them. Interesting discussion too. I think there is room for all quilts in shows, made from whatever mediums the quilt maker desires to use.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a huge fan of painted quilts...I tend to love more traditional quilts the most but I don't get the idea that they shouldn't be allowed in quilt shows. I'm curious, do most shows put those type of quilts in an art quilt category or are they placed in categories according to size?
ReplyDeleteI know I'm in the minority here but I just love the white work one.
they are both gorgeous. i am drawn to the painted one first because those are always so bright and brilliant and i am all about 'bright'. i like the little fuzzy borders that you have around them....just the right touch. your stuff always makes me smile. keep on keepin' on.
ReplyDeleteThat makes me sad too that she's so limited in her view of the world. It's like defining fruit as only apples and then going to Hawaii and not finding any fruit. It's ridiculous. And there are no quilt police to come tell you that you are doing it wrong or that your quilt isn't worthy to be called a quilt. I love your work. It's beautiful and inspiring.
ReplyDeleteWell, I would have thought that I would choose the white wholecloth, but you just proved me wrong, I love the painted wholecloth too, just goes to show 'all your work is stunning'!
ReplyDeleteBest Wishes
Kay in Scotland
I like them both with a slight preference for the painted one.
ReplyDeleteRemember when some people didn't want machine quilted quilts in shows?
I also remember when I was in grade school and girls couldn't wear pants to school, unless there was snow and even then you had to wear a skirt over your pants and take the pants off once you got inside.
Change is good. All your work is art. Only your opinion matters.