Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pillow Shams & Accent Pillow

The Black, white and red quilt has long since been finished. But now that the room has been painted and I'm putting that guest room back together I decided to make pillow shams.  All of the fabrics in the quilt are fabrics I had used in the quilt that is the focal point of that room"Bye Bye Blackbird".

 

So I used the same fabrics for the shams and accent pillow. And some of the same elements.

Pillow covers and shams are a great way to try out quilt ideas on a small scale to sort out any issues in technique before committing to a large quilt.  And I always make them to go with bed quilts...I like how it gives the bed a finished look.

So I thought I'd chronicle the process in pictures...it'll be in 2 parts.  Today, covers constructing the tops.

First, the shams....the center background



Add a circle of prairie points



a narrow inner border





the outer border



and done!



And the accent pillow...first the center



Some prairie points around the edge



and a border





And now we have two pillow shams and an accent pillow top ready to quilt!



Stay tuned...next time we finish and embellish them.

3 comments:

  1. I like the look of shams but they're a pain on my bed. I do miss having a guest bed to dress up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see them with the quilt... on the bed all made up. Fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them Deb! I am starting on a black and white prints on a red backgroud quilt. Love that combination. We are in FL and the weather is great but ..... missing my kids. That will be over soon.

    Have a Merry Christmas

    Love,
    Sharyl

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!