Today is the reveal for Fiberactions. Our challenge was to use the colors in our closet. It's funny how my art imitates my closet! My art typically displays a glorious riot of color...so does my closet. When I opened the closet doors in preparation for this piece, I had to smile. Color...all colors make me happy. My skirts and slacks are mostly black, but my tops, scarves and shoes are a multitude of colors. All bright, clear color too...no muted or grayed tones, and only one pastel.
So there you go, Basic Black with a riot of color on top...just like my clothes! :)
Since the longarm had a large quilt in process loaded, I decided to to quilt this one on my domestic machine...something I haven't done (other than straight lines) for over 10 years, and oh boy, am I rusty! Those are some pretty ragged feathers! But Bouree doesn't mind...he's already claimed this for his own.
I used Superior's Lava thread in the top and Bottom line in the bobbin. The batting is just one layer of Quilters Dream Puff. I wasn't brave enough to tackle my usual two layers of batting with the DSM. Be sure to check in at Fiberactions to see what the other artists did.
I finished the outlining; then made a transparent wash with interference paints and glazing liquid and brushed it over the background areas. This intensifies the subtle background color, just a tad, and gives it a nice shimmer...like light shining on the water.
After that dried, I used a circle stencil to add raised bubbles with light molding paste and waited for that to dry. You can always lightly sand to even them out...I didn't, I like the course texture and irregularity of them.
Once the raised 'bubbles' were dry, I brushed them with a glaze of interference pearl, and then a light blue acrylic ink. The beauty of acrylics...all the various paints, inks and mediums work beautifully together! So there you have it....
Herschel and Selma
All that's left now is to seal the painting and hang it!
Not much studio time lately, but grabbing some whenever I can. Cleopatra is on the frame being quilted; my compass wholecloth is being marked; two piecing and applique projects are in various stages.
Also, I'm working on a canvas. 8"x24"...primed. I'm printing, sponging, and painting.
Have you ever made your own printing plates? I use a variety, gelli plates, hand carved lino plates and stamps and I often make printing plates from scratch foam. It's quick and easy and very effective on paper, fabric and even stretched canvas. Stretched canvas is what I'm sharing today.
First you need to draw your design on the foam. Now, you can use recycled meat trays, but my medical background cringes at that...how do I know I got off all those nasty meat germs? So I buy my mine...from Joggles or DickBlick. Then just draw your design...I use a stylus designed for scapbooking, but you can use a pencil or pen.
Here are 2 of the many designs I have drawn
Simply use a brayer to add the paint to your printing plate. In this example, I used Golden Acrylic paint, mixed with an equal amount of Glazing liquid...it does not lighten the paint...merely extends the working time. I applied it with a hard rubber brayer.
The first photo is a print I pulled on regular copy paper to test.
These foam printing plates can be used over and over again...just wash them with soap and water.
Then I re-applied the paint to the plate and printed my canvas. I had already added the background color and allowed it to dry.
Now, you can see the lines created by the edges of my plate. I'm not concerned about that because I will be adding additional layers that will blend it. If you want to minimize that effect...simply wipe the excess paint from the edges of your plate before printing.
After my printed canvas dries, I then sponge on additional colors.
Keep in mind, many thin layers work best. After this dries, I use Titanium white Gesso to prime (rough in) my main motifs here...
Now it's waiting for me to have the time to add the details.